Before the Monkees: My Time With Davy Jones

When I heard that one of the Monkees died this morning, he was one of those "Look at 5 pm" to tease, but I shudder. Then I thought, "Oh, I'll bet that it poked Peter," because he had health problems in the past. When I found out it was Davy Jones, I'm just crushed with grief.

Back in the sixties, David, not Davy, was special for me. Long before he became the fantasy of every teenage girl, David was my "not a friend." My brother was in the Broadway musical Oliver! Boy Playing the workhouse, and attending Professional Children's School in Manhattan. My grandmother used to manage it every morning in his little a white 1964 Mustang. in show business family, it was not at all surprising to us. Sometimes, I would have together, and this is how I met David.

He came into the cafe in the old hotel Parmount, where we all, including Heather Taylor, Jimi Hendrix magnificent "Foxy Lady" and Roger's wife Daltrys more than 40 years, will hang out. David played the Artful Pluto and of course all the girls were crazy about him, even then. He was very tall, and was a jockey back in the UK. But what he lacked in height he more than compensated by the charm, English is cool, and talent. We were all stupefied.

I recognized him, and I found that it was actually very good and normal, and eventually he asked me. I was so excited I could not breathe or eat for several days. David took me to Sardi with another couple, Bern Kornfeld, a music producer, and his bride. I even remember what I ordered the crab salad, no dressing. I remember asking the waiter if I could, without enrichment, and he told me, "At Sardi at all possible!" As if I was a teenager, some did not know anything about waiting, I was! After the evening show, we went to the place , called the spot Show Harold, where they all drink in the afternoon, and I had just a bitter lemon, I was underage.

Then David took me to a taxi and took me to my friend's apartment, where he gave me a very nice kiss, that I will never forget. He was dressed in a fur shoes. Amazingly, they fit me, and he promised to give them to me when he got tired of them. We remained friends.

If the show closes, and went on his way, David also join the national campaign, while my brother, my grandmother and I'm playing, "the undertaker's daughter, Charlotte," joined the buses and trucks. I have become besties with the road and lifelong friend of David, Chris Andrews, our "Artful Pluto," which later went on to participate in the seminal rock band Les Fleur de Lys, home to the UK. Chris is the best friend of David to this day and still my bestie. David, in his kindness, was instumental in reuniting us after we lost touch over the years.

By the end of the tour, we took a break from performances to visit David in Chicago. We had fun, as only teenagers can have. On Sunday morning we had our reunion show David left him to carry out part of the "Sam Weller" in the musical Pickwick in Los Angeles.

David told us that a man named Ward Sylvester is going to create a television show around it. Of course, we were happy and the actors are a little jealous. Then came a time when Sylvester came to David, and we watched him drive out to the stars than we can imagine. I remember how cold it was, and how bright the sun was shining that day. I remember we all cried.

I never saw David again, but I'm sitting here looking at the fur shoes, which he promised me. I've had them for 46 years. I remember so well as he danced and sang in their off-stage door on 46th Street, long before the fame, the cries of the girl, Monkees and hit records.

On a beautiful summer night when we were younger than we have ever been back and laugh all we know. When I kissed the boy, who was charming. Good night, beautiful David, we love you. As we will always love you.