No Tony Gold at the End of the Rainbow

 After each awards season, there are tons of people who I think has been honored not have been. People who do not even get nominated. But I'm not going to greet all of them - now you have read the other "reject" column - instead I am going to write about two designated individuals who I think deserves to win Tony Awards over their competition: Tracie Bennett and Hugh Vans Tone .

Best Supporting Actress in a play was a very tough category this year. This may be the first time in my career where I thought all nominees deserve Tony awards. Cynthia Nixon was devastating in Wit. Stockard Channing is unquestionably brilliant in other cities Desert. (And, though I am not writing about it for themselves here, I will give call-out to other cities Desert, well-constructed family drama that I recommend.), Linda Lavin, a longtime favorite memory is pitch perfect as Rita Lyons, which allows viewers both love and hate it at once. Nina Arianda, who won the prize, was a revelation when I saw Venus in fur off-Broadway and its performance improved in the Broadway run of the show. But, if I vote, my vote had been cast for Tracie Bennett.

Bennett is doing something that is so incredibly hard that I almost think she deserves a special Tony. End of the Rainbow is technically a play with music, not musical, but Bennett is singing more songs than some of the most nominated actress in a musical category. While Tony broadcast did not show it in the best of her, Garland Bennett is uncanny. There are people floored reason. End of the Rainbow is unfortunately not much to play, which may have hurt Bennet in this race, but I urge everyone to go and see it. Bennett transforms herself completely to pieces. I can not imagine anyone else being as good at it. I'm glad she won the Drama Desk, and was hoping she would pick up Tony as well. She deserves it.

Many of you may have read the first paragraph of this post and when googled Hugh Vans Tone. Others may know his name or just assumed, rightly, that I would tell you who he is. Vans Tone's Tony-nominated lighting designer Spirit, who lost Tony Award this year for a national s Natasha Katz. Usually I can not find a description of the design categories. I think the last time I did was in 2001 when the lighting designer Jane Eyre in Peggy Eisenhauer and Jules Fisher lost out to Peter Kaczorowski for manufacturers. (This time I feel a little better about the when, with a mirrored set, it was really difficult to light, unlike the manufacturer.) Ghost and Jane Eyre were both shows were amazing lighting, they were both showing up level of each design is about their description, and they are both shows that I do not think all Tony voters saw. I've heard of some voters this year they gave up the Ghost tickets. It is not something that is supposed to happen, but it happens. I'm not saying that necessarily affect the outcome - I'm sure there were many, many voters who saw both shows and even voted for Katz, who did do a good job on the way - but to take part in the critically-reviled show likely hurt Vans Tone.