A Giddy Catcher Retraces a Special Night

Josh Thole does not get to run on the mound and embrace Johan Santana on Friday night, the first night of his return from the disabled list since May 7, when he sustained a concussion. Never mind how difficult it was for battery companies Santana and Thole to keep guessing and Louis Cardinals hitless through the night, it almost did not happen: Manager Terry Collins had almost persuaded Thole to play one more minor league rehab game.

"TC tried to talk me into it, really," Thole said Collins in his locker about an hour after he hugged Santana on the mound at Citi Field. "He asked," Are you sure you're ready? "I said," I am ready. That's it. I think I can handle it. "

The Mets had come so close to losing no-hitter in the game. Considering that Thole almost lost the game just shows how much had to go right for the first Mets' no-hitter in franchise history.

"You'll never forget this," Thole said. "It's like - I have asked to have a catcher's gear confirmed. It's like this stuff does not happen every day. I mean, again, a young boy, I'm a little giddy."

Thole grinned the whole time he retraced the steps, telling of a ninth inning that could define his career. Disposal of the meat of its cardinals "- Matt Holliday, Allen Craig and David Freese - in order, Santana needed just 12 pitches, eight changeups, three fast balls and sliders.

Holliday lifted the first pitch changeup to center field, but it proved harmless. To that point, Thole said Santana had given him plenty of options as catcher, as he located his fast ball and slider on each side of the plate, making his changeup much more dangerous.

Craig began a 2-2 changeup into left field - and just like the fans did during Holliday's at-bat, it seemed as if everyone holding their breath. And that, too, was harmless.

But if one player was impressed enough to end up like the Mets' on, it would be Freese, State World Series most valuable player, took the first three pitches he saw. Santana was 3-0 hole.

So Thole exactly for the fast ball, "he founded the Committee on the plate very well, so there was no question that what I was going. We were going - fast ball in, and if he loses, oh well, going first to will try to get out again. "

The ball stuck fast; Strike first

Then, after Freese fouled off changeup, Thole called the second, the 3-2 count, with the opportunity to end Santana's no-hitter.

"It was strange, but I mean, I was not - it was like it was right for me," Thole said. "The last full at-bat came right to me. No question about it. It was as if he throws a changeup, I want it down to earth. If we walk him, and that, and hopefully we can get in the swing through. he threw and he threw it perfect. I did not close it, I was able to grab it, and that's it. "

Freese swung in the air, and Thole complimented the judge, in what has become a polite Thole often closer, and he rushed to the mound, arms to the sky. Nine innings in his return from the concussion, it was clear that Thole's head was clear, too.