Sleigh Bells: Something To Shout About

When Derek Miller moved to Brooklyn in 2008, he had already written most of the songs that would Snacks, the first album of his band's Sleigh Bells. But the guitarist and producer says he needed one more thing to bring songs to life.

"Female singers have always appealed to me, always when I was a little kid," Miller says. "My mom was super into the Madonna and Belinda Carlisle and Janet Jackson, so I was always surrounded by a female voice."

Miller found that in the spring of Muse singer Alexis Krauss, who put aside a career in education to start a band. According to Krauss works in Miller's production style - characterized by loud guitars and machine-gun beats - to learn how to scream.

"I'm already in session work, working with other people - it was something I knew how," Krauss says. "I was used to push myself and going to a place that I was a little uncomfortable, but their action .... Now, I love the screaming. I actually prefer the one to sing sometimes."

NPR's Rachel Martin Miller and Krauss speaks about the creative partnership between the second and Sleigh Bells album, Reign of Terror, which is published this week.